The Cathedral of St. Peter of Alcantara is located in Petrópolis, mountain town in the state of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. It is dedicated to St. Peter of Alcantara, patron of the city and the Brazilian monarchy.
The current cathedral building Began to be built only in 1884. The project was commissioned to engineer and architect Francisco Caminhoa Bahia, who designed the building in neo-Gothic style, much in vogue at the team, inspired Particularly in the ancient cathedrals of northern France . The work was in charge of Manuel Pereira Jerome contractor, son of one of the first families to settle in the city, coming from the Pico Island in the Azores.