The Schwebebahn Dresden is the oldest suspension railway — a kind of hanging monorail — in the world (1891/1900). It is situated in Dresden, Germany, and connects the districts of Loschwitz and Oberloschwitz (Rochwitz side). The line is 274 metres long and is supported on 33 pillars. It was designed by Eugen Langen, who later went on to design the Schwebebahn Wuppertal, a more extensive suspension railway in Wuppertal. Despite its unusual suspended format, the Dresden Schwebebahn is operated as a conventional funicular railway. The two cars are attached to each other by a cable, which runs around a drum at the top of the incline. The ascending car is pulled up the hill by the weight of the descending car, assisted if necessary by an electric drive to the drum. The line has the following technical parameters: Length: 273 metres Height: 84 metres Maximum Steepness: 39.2% Cars: 2 Capacity: 40 passengers per car Configuration: Double suspension track Maximum speed: 2.5 metres per second Traction: Electricity The Schwebebahn was not damaged in World War II, but it was out of service from 1984 to 1992 because of reconstruction. After 1990, and in 2002, extensive repair works took place and there is now a new lookout point on the roof of the station. The Schwebebahn is one of two funicular railways in Dresden, the other being the much more conventional Standseilbahn Dresden. Both lines are operated by the Dresdner Verkehrsbetriebe AG, who also operate the city's tram, bus and ferry networks. Quelle: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwebebahn_Dresden
Dresda è tristemente famosa per una dei più devastanti bombardamenti della seconda guerra mondiale, ma oggi, ricostruita in maniera accurata, riporta il visitatore ai fasti dei principi di Sassonia.Qui vennero a dipingere il Canaletto ed il Bellotto, qui è stato costruito il Semperoper uno dei teatri d'opera più importanti del mondo, per tradizione e acustica.