Herrera Square did not exist in the Spanish colony. In its place, there was a block like others, with its buildings. But the city fire of 1781 destroyed this sector, and the houses were never rebuilt. In the middle of the 19th century, this open space was known as the Plaza del Triunfo. Bullfights and other festivities were held there. In 1887 it was renamed in memory of Tomás Herrera (1804-54), a national hero who participated in the emancipation of South America.
At the beginning of the 20th century, several constructions were carried out around this square, being the most striking the building La Reformada, work of the architect Leonardo Villanueva Meyer. This building, constructed between 1917-20, was one of the first in the city to exceed four stories. Inside, there was a bank, a warehouse, offices and apartments. It was recently restored, and today houses the American Trade Hotel.