Jadran is a training ship powered both by sail and internal combustion built for the navy of Yugoslavia and now owned by the navy of Montenegro. It was built in Hamburg, in the HC Stülcken & Sohn shipyard, and launched on June 25, 1931. The construction cost 8,407,030 dinars, or 622,743 RM, and was funded in part by the Jadranska Guard maritime organization and in part by a loan taken from the Navy war reparations.
On 16 July 1933, at 10.00 hours, the ship arrived in Tivat, and was commissioned into the Yugoslav Royal Navy on 19 August 1933, although the commissioning ceremony (which included a salute with cannons) was held only on 6 September at Split. The ceremony, which lasted three days, was attended by representatives of the political and military leadership from the whole country. The ship joined the Adriatic fleet on 25 June 1934.
Tivat is a coastal town in southwest Montenegro, located in the Bay of Kotor. It has a population of 14,111 (2011 census). Tivat is the centre of the municipality, which is the smallest municipality by area in Montenegro.
View More »