The Upper Wine Country Douro and Alto Douro Wine Region is an area of northeastern Portugal with more than 26,000 hectares, classified by UNESCO on December 14, 2001, as World Heritage in the category of cultural landscape and surrounded by mountains they give you mesological and specific climatic characteristics.
This region, which is bathed by the Douro River and is part of the so-called Douro Wine Region, produces wine for over 2000 years, including the world-famous Port wine.
Its origins date back to the second half of the seventeenth century, when the Port Wine begins to be produced and exported in quantity, especially to England.
However, high profits from exports to England would generate situations of fraud, abuse and tampering with the quality of fortified wine. The main producers of Douro wine then require the intervention of the government and the September 10, 1756, is finally created the "General Company of Agriculture of the Upper Douro Vineyards".
To demarcate the physical space of the region were then sent deploy 201 landmarks granite. In the year 1761 they are placed over 134 Pombaline landmarks, so a total of 335.
As early as May 10, 1907, under the decree signed by John Franco, the demarcated region is bounded again, extending the Upper Douro.
The long tradition of viticulture has produced a cultural landscape of outstanding beauty that reflects its technological, social and economic developments.