Kibble Palace is a collection of 19th century wrought iron framed conservatories, designed by architect John Kibble in the 1860's.
The building was originally sited at Cove near Loch Long before being dismantled and transported to it's current location where it was re-assembled in 1871. The main structure is of curved wrought iron and glass supported by cast iron beams resting on ornate columns.
It was initially used as an exhibition and concert venue but many complaints about "rowdy" behaviour saw these events banned and the last use as a public events venue was in 1879 when William Gladstone was installed as rector of Glasgow University.
From 1880 The Royal Botanical Institute of Glasgow has used the "Palace" for the cultivation of temperate plants. The main plant group is a collection of Australian tree ferns, some of which have lived here for 120 years.
2004 saw the Kibble Palace dismantled for the second time and a £7 million restoration programme was initiated to repair corrosion of the ironwork. It re-opened to the public in November 2006.