Lindisfarne Castle was first built as an artillery fort in 1550. It sits atop a high rocky mound on Holy Island. The island, also known by its ancient name of Lindisfarne, is only accessible from the mainland via a causeway at low tide. Despite its location close to the volatile border between England and Scotland it never saw military action and in 1903 was remodelled into a private residence by the famous architect Sir Edwin Lutyens. It has been in the care of the National Trust since 1944.