The magnificent, yellow Municipal House (Obecni Dum) is the most astounding facade at Namesti Republiky, the primary example of Art Nouveau in Prague. Built 1905-11 by the Municipal Council, the building houses the 2nd major concert-hall of Prague, The Smetana Hall (main hall of the Prague Symphony), exhibition rooms, restaurants and a tourist information. Notice the extravagant iron-work, the interior and the huge mosaic above the balcony depicting the mythological princess Libuse. Get inside and downstairs to find the foyer shown in this image. Enjoy the mosaics of the restaurant or have a drink in the American Bar with its particular Art Deco interior. The ground floor cafe has the largest cake-pieces of Prague-cafes.
The Kings Court was at this site in the middle ages, hence the Powder Tower (Prana Brana) as connected neighbour.
The Powder Tower (1475) is the last standing of the citygates, a fine example of late gothic. The tower was build on order by King Vladislav II Jagiello, though the old town bore the cost. Its architects followed the example of Peter Parlers beautiful tower at the Charles Bridge.