0 Likes

Elvas Aqueduct
Elvas, Portugal

O aqueduto de Elvas começou a ser construído em 1537, por ordem do Rei D.João III de Portugal, para melhorar o abastecimento de água à cidade de Elvas. Após vários precalços e atrasos, a obra foi inaugurada em 1622. É o maior aqueduto da Península Ibérica, com cerca de 8 km, desde a captação da água na fonte da Amoreira, até ao fim no Largo da Misericórdia cidade de Elvas, Esta magnífica obra, tem no início, cerca de 1367 metros de galerias subterrâneas, tem 843 arcos com mais de 5 arcadas e torres de 31 metros.

Copyright: Adelino Chapa
Type: Spherical
Resolution: 6324x3162
Taken: 30/08/2011
Caricate: 30/08/2011
Aggiornato: 10/10/2014
Numero di visualizzazioni:

...


Tags: aqueduct; elvas; alentejo; portugal; heritage
comments powered by Disqus

More About Elvas, Portugal

The site, extensively fortified from the 17th to 19th centuries, represents the largest bulwarked dry-ditch system in the world. Within its walls, the town contains barracks and other military buildings as well as churches and monasteries. While Elvas contains remains dating back to the 10th century ad, its fortification began when Portugal regained independence in 1640. The fortifications designed by Dutch Jesuit padre Cosmander represent the best surviving example of the Dutch school of fortifications anywhere. The site also contains the Amoreira aqueduct, built to enable the stronghold to withstand lengthy sieges.UNESCO