0 Likes

Cathedral Island - Wroclaw
Wroclaw

Ostrów Tumski ("Cathedral Island", German: Dominsel) is the oldest part of the city of Wrocław in south-western Poland. It was formerly an island (ostrów in old Polish) between branches of the Oder River.

Archaeological excavations have shown that the western part of Ostrów Tumski, between the Church of St. Martin and the Holy Cross, was the first to be inhabited. The first, wooden church (St. Martin), dating from the 9th century, was surrounded by defensive walls built on the banks of the river. The island had approximately 1,500 inhabitants at that time.

The first constructions on Ostrów Tumski were built in the 10th century by the Piast dynasty, and were made from wood. The first building from solid material was St. Martin's chapel, built probably at the beginning of the eleventh century by Benedictine monks. Not long after the first cathedral was raised, in place of the small church.

In 1163 the settlement was raided by Boleslaw I the Tall who had returned after being banished. After taking control of the area and waiting for the political situation in Silesia to stabilize, he chose Ostrów Tumski as his new seat. He began replacing the wooden defenses with brick ones and to build a Roman-style residence. more...

Copyright: Robert Pipala
Type: Spherical
Resolution: 6000x3000
Caricate: 04/11/2011
Aggiornato: 04/09/2014
Numero di visualizzazioni:

...


Tags: wrocław; poland; polska; breslau; ostrow tumski; cathedral island; island; wroclaw; odra; river; riverbank; riverside
comments powered by Disqus

Robert Hernik
Wrocław Cathedral
Krzysztof Bialek
The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Wrocław
Grzegorz Rogala
Archikatedra św. Jana Chrzciciela we Wrocławiu
Krzysztof Bialek
Market in front of Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Wrocław
Grzegorz Rogala
St. John the Baptist Cathedral
Radosław Więckowski
Cathedral Square
Robert Pipala
Katedralna St in Ostrow Tumski, Wroclaw
H.J.Weber
Wroklaw (Breslau) - Ostro-Tumski
H.J.Weber
Wroclaw (Breslau) - Tumski-Bridge
Robert Hernik
Tumski Bridge
H.J.Weber
Breslau (Wroclaw) - Statue von Kardinal Boleslaw Kominek
H.J.Weber
Wroclaw (Breslau) - red-bridge-no-171
Martin Broomfield
Notre Dame, the Seine, a bride and her scooter. Paris
Neil Creek
Snowy Bush
Clifford Compton
Mt. Carmel Fireworks
Christopher Blake
Mt Hope Bridge Bristol
Ivan Roslyakov
Midnight on the top of mt. Sinai,
Sotero Ferreira
Typical Village of José Franco - Mafra
Andrea Biffi
Saint-Séverin ambulatory
Supasit Srisawathsak
Brooklyn Bridge
Melkan Bassil
Chabrouh water barrier - Lebanon
Andrea Biffi
Panthéon
Andrey Dorogin
Demerdji
Tayfun Boylu
Khao San (bangkok) Thailand
Robert Pipala
Rogalin Palace #3
Robert Pipala
Jonaszowka Hill
Robert Pipala
Bialowieza, Narrow-gauge railway tracks
Robert Pipala
Kopiec Krakusa
Robert Pipala
Mielec - Armii Krajowej Square
Robert Pipala
Sandomierz Small Market
Robert Pipala
Stadium "FKS Stal Mielec"
Robert Pipala
Rogalin Palace #1
Robert Pipala
Kozanki Podlesne - manor house of the nineteenth century
Robert Pipala
Sandomierz - Main Square
Robert Pipala
Smolnik nad Sanem, Greek Catholic church. St. Michael the Archangel
Robert Pipala
Kórnik, Arboretum at the castle
More About Wroclaw

Wrocław was the historical capital of Silesia. Over the centuries, the city has been part of either Poland, Bohemia, Austria, Prussia, or Germany. Since 1945 it has been part of Poland.source: wikipedia