The Port Shepstone lighthouse has stood for over 100 years. The cast iron ‘Checkerboard’ lighthouse was shipped from Britain to Natal in the 1890’s and was erected in its present landmark position, completed in 1905.
8 metres circular cast iron tower. Painted with black white cheques
The lighthouse is equipped with a radio beacon and is fully automatic. It is run off the mains supply and has two standby diesel generators.
With a range of 26 sea miles, and 1 130 000 CD light power, the revolving electric light flashes 1 flash every 6 seconds.
Created by Virtual Tour Photographer John Gore of 360 SA.