Temple B'nai Jeshurun, founded in 1873, was the first Jewish congregation in Des Moines, Iowa.
In 1931, the congregation began the erection of its present house of worship. This is at the corner of Grand Avenue and Country Club Boulevard. The present Temple was dedicated on February 29, 1932.
B'nai Jeshurun means "children of righteousness". It is a poetic name for the Jewish people, often used in the Bible to designate the ideal character of Israel.