One of the contendents on the Tall Ships Race (Formerly known as the Cutty Shark race), the "Statsraad Lehmkuhl" is a 3-masted steel bark, built by Johann C. Tecklenberg AG in Bremerhaven-Geestemünde in 1914 as a training ship for the German merchant marine. Her original name was "Grossherzog Friedrich August". During most of World War Ι the "Statsraad Lehmkuhl" was used as a stationary training ship in Germany, and was, after the war, taken as prize by England. On an initiative by the current director of Det Bergenske Dampskibsselskab (Bergen Line) and the former cabinet minister Kristofer Lehmkuhl, the «Statsraad Lehmkuhl» was purchased from England in 1921 and put into service as sail training vessel under Norwegian flag from 1923. As a token of appreciation and gratitude to Kristofer Lehmkuhl for his work for the school training ship cause, and for his work in the 1905 cabinet, the ship was renamed «Statsraad Lehmkuhl» (Minister Lehmkuhl).