After the 1879 Flood, in 1883, to protect itself against new floods, the town made a vow to build a church dedicated to Our Lady of Hungary. The construction of the church was continued after the war, from 1923. The neo-romanesque building of the Votive Church, promoted to a cathedral in 1931, was consecrated in 1930. In the meantime the construction of a complex group of ecclesiastical and university buildings surrounding in a quadrangle the monumental Cathedral Square of 12.000 m2 was also begun. The area of the square is as large as that of Saint Mark’s Square in Venice.