The pier is located on the banks of Bold Trieste, in the city center, just steps away from Piazza Unity of Italy and the Grand Canal. Separates the basin of the St. George Basin of the Old Port of San Giusto.
In 1740, sank in the port of Trieste, near the shore, the ship St. Charles. Instead of removing the wreck, it was decided to use as a basis for the construction of a new pier, which was built between 1743 and 1751 and was dedicated to Saint Charles.
Then the pier was shorter as it is today, because it measured only 95 feet long and was joined on the ground through a small wooden bridge. In the second half of 1700 it was lengthened by 19 meters and 132 meters in 1860 the other, reaching its current length of 246 meters. The bridge was removed, joining the dock directly to the mainland.
St. Charles is docked at the pier passenger ships merchant ships, with great movement of people and goods.
On 3 November 1918, at the end of World War I, the first Navy ship to enter the Italian port of Trieste and to dock at the pier was the destroyer Audace San Carlo, which is still exposed at the base of the lighthouse of Victory.
The seafront in Trieste (by the Harbour Square Unity of Italy) seen from the top of the pier Bold In memory of this event was renamed the pier, the pier they called Bold, and at the end of the pier itself was built a wind rose in bronze, with an inscription in the center, supported by a column of white stone.
Over time, with the movement of maritime traffic in other parts of the port, the quay Bold gradually lost its mercantile function, and today there only occasionally passing boats dock. The pier was so a popular place to stroll, a catwalk jutting out into the sea dall'indubbio charm, which completes the walk along the streets and unification of Italy.
View More »