In 1469, the castle‘s owner became Blažej Podmanický
. After his death, Viliam Tettauer
obtained the castle, but Blažej‘s son Václav Podmanický protested against this. Subsequently,the Nitra diocese
regained the castle, and later Michal Imrefy
became its owner. In 1527, the castle fell into German hands. In 1536, the brothers Ján and Rafael Podmanický retook Hričov Castle back from the Germans.
After the death of Rafael Podmanický in 1558, the castle fell into the hands of the royal chamber
, which released it together with its estates and the town of Bytča to Anna Likarka. Ján Kilian
, who came from Milan, worked for her as an estate administrator and took care of maintenance of the castle, where he resided. Anna Likarka held Hričov and Bytča until 1563
, when this property was acquired by František Thurzo
. After the death of František Thurzo, Hričov was managed by his widow Katarína Zrínska. In 1586
, all Thurzo ‘s estates were acquired by the eldest son of František Thurzo - George Thurzo
. In 1605, the poorly guarded castle was destroyed by Bočkay’s hajduci. Between 1617 – 1621
, the Thurzo estates were administered by Georges‘s son Imrich Thurzo
and after his death by the widow after Juraj, Elisabeth Thurzo Czobor
, until 1626.
The Thurzo’s gave little consideration
to Hričov, so the abandoned castle had already begun to deteriorate throughout the 17th century. As the following decades saw no renovation, it gradually turned into ruins
. Today, a walk through them can remind us of the castle’s ancient history.