The park of Rundāle Palace is an essential part of the palace complex; it has retained its original layout without any significant changes. The location map of Rundāle Palace was drawn by Francesco Bartolomeo Rastrelli in 1735/1736.
The garden was created between 1736 and 1740, at the same time when the palace was constructed. The location map provides evidence that the actual access to the Palace differs from the one intended by Rastrelli, as his idea of an access road on the central symmetry axis was never realized.
The park was not affected by modernization in the 19th century when formal gardens were transformed into landscape gardens. The cartography and inventory carried out in 1974 revealed that in the 19th century trees in the park were still planted according to Rastrelli’s design.
Find more at http://rundale.net