It is located at an elevation of 1300 m, 20 km to the north of downtown Mut District, Mersin. The place that has long been called Kocakale is now known by the name of Alahan Monastery. It is located on a terrace lying eastwards-westwards. Structures lean on the rock mass on the north of the site. Alahan Monastery is dated to the 5th and 6th century AD. The first settlement started in this religious center in the natural cave to the west of the terrace. A church was built in a very late period. While building this church, the apse and bema of the basilica of the old cathedral was used. There is a relief of an angel on either side of the doorposts of the entrance. They are depicted as the Archangels Gabriel and Michael, accompanied by unidentified figures around them. There is a wide array of figures in the reliefs carved on the molding including acanthus, grapevines, grapes, fishes and birds. There lies a large court on the east of these two churches, and structures carved on the bedrock in the north. There is a baptistery across the point where stairs reach the gallery. In the easternmost part of the complex stands the most important structure, the Eastern Church or “Domed Church”. It was built of face stones and it is decorated with reliefs.