Augsburg is a city in the Swabian part of Bavaria. For ove five centuries it has been "Freie Reichsstadt" - Free Town of the Holy Roman Empire. Here the Augsburg Confession was presented on the 25th of June 1530 on the Diet of Augsburg. Augsburg was the home of the Fugger family, a influencious bankers family in the Renaissance. The city was founded as "Augusta Vindelicorum" by the Romans. The town hall was built in 1620 in Renaissance style. The town hall was hit by many British bombs in World War II. The facade was rebuilt after the war - the reconstruction and restoration of the interior and of the main hall "Goldener Saal" was finished in 1985 - the town hall was reopened on the 9th of January 1985.