Before the end of the 12th century it was mentioned first the fortress and later the Templar monastery in Bač. It got its final look, which was partially preserved up to now, in the first half of the 12th century. When the order of Templars was dismissed, the monastery was taken over by the Franciscans in 1301.
A foundation for this monstery was laid by the knight – monk order of Templars in 1169. The monastery was built in late Romanesque and early Gothic style. It was later partially pulled down and turned into mosque by the Turks (after Mohach battle in 1526). At that time Bač was the heart of county of Bačka which included 70 villages. An icon painted by Greek painter Dima in 1687 is kept in the monastery. There is also one of the oldest libraries in the country with books from the 15th century. In the 17th century, the monastery has been pulled down and burn several times, then rebuilt and restored. Therefore, monastery buildings are built in various architectural styles. There is an obvious touch of Romanesque style as well as later Gothic alterations and Baroque implementations (inventory).
The oldest and stylistically most interesting parts are soacious Romanesque apse – sanctuary and the remains of Gothic frescoes from the 15th century as well as a massive bell tower built on the foundation from the 12th century which give this building an impressive characteristics. Until Turkish occupation, Bač was an important place and royal town which they often visited. It was one of those archbishop headquarters which had a palace in a fortress. During that time there were at least two other churches in Bač and several smaller in the surrounding area with weaker fortress walls.