This is one of a few interesting squares in Bytom (before 1945 also Beuthen, due to belonging to Germany).
Jan III Sobieski Square (in 1902-1945 the square was named after Helmut von Moltke, a famous German Feld Marshal) was marked out in the 19th century, and was chiefly a place to organize a cattle market and festivities. Later also a tavern and barracs were erected here.
By the end of 1920s a decision to redevelop the square was made and then interesting modernistic buildings, which are its landmark to the present day, were built . One of them is the Museum of Upper Silesia, built according to a design of A. Stütz and H. Hatler. The other building from that time is a school (at that time Construction Crafts School, today Mechanical and Car School Complex) designed by an architect O. Goltz. The Public Library building, between the Museum and the School Complex, was erected in 1968.
View More »