The castle ruin Weissenstein is the ruin of a rock castle on a 758 meter high quartz rock, the pile ("Castle Hill") in the district of White Stone of city rain in the district of Regen in Bavaria.
The castle was built by the Counts of Bogen to 1100th. After the extinction of this noble family in 1242, the castle fell to the Bavarian dukes. 1308 mortgaged the Bavarian dukes Otto and Stephan of Lower Bavaria knighted Eberwein Degen mountain with the castle domination. 1339/40 the castle was owned by the sword Berger.
When the sword Berger raised in Böckler war against Duke Albrecht IV., Duke troops under Georg von Lerchenfeld issued on December 9, 1468 in front of the castle. Shortly before Christmas Weißenstein Castle was captured and burned. However, the sword Berger built the castle on again and remained here until their extinction in 1602 by the death of Hans Sigmund of Degen mountain.
The castle fell to Elector Maximilian I., who established the seat of the electoral nurse here. During the Thirty Years War the castle was destroyed in 1633 by the Swedes. 1740 overthrew the south side of the castle a 1742 destroyed Franz von der Trenck with his Pandours the castle definitively.
The castle fell into disrepair since then while restoring official residence and outbuildings. One built in 1762 to a tower-like building, the so-called granary because this building served as a granary for the Zehentabgaben of subjects. 1918 bought the writer Siegfried von Vegesack the house and made it his home. Due to the high costs incurred by him while he called it the eating house. He titled his 1932 novel, also.
The “Free State of Bavaria” is renowned for being culturally unique and for the emphasis which it places on preserving its heritage and traditions. It is also extraordinarily beautiful, boasting a plethora of castles, palaces, cathedrals, abbeys and monasteries not to mention spectacular scenery. Bavaria is more than Alps, men in “lederhosen” (leather pants), women in “dirndl” (traditional dresses) and frothy glasses of beer by the “maβ” (liter).