The Burgos Cathedral is one of the most beautiful Gothic monuments. It was declared World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1984. Previously, it had been declared National Monument in 1885.
Its construction was initiated in 1221 by King Ferdinand III of Castile and Mauricio, the English-born Bishop of Burgos. It was consecrated in 1260. It underwent important modifications in the 15th and 16th centuries: the construction of the spires of the principal façade, the Chapel of the Constable and the cimborio of the transept, these elements of advanced Gothic give the cathedral its distinguished profile. The last works of importance (the sacristy and the Chapel of Saint Thecla) occurred during the 18th century, period in which the Gothic statuary of the door of the principal façade was also transformed.
The design of the principal façade is related to the French gothic style of the great cathedrals of Paris or Reims, meanwhile the interior elevation is similar to the cathedral of Bourges. The main façade of the cathedral consists of three stories topped by two lateral towers on square plans terminating in octagonal spires covered with open stonework traceries. These spires, of German influence, were built by the master builder Juan de Colonia.
The South side's Sarmental façade, the North side's Coronería façade (with the Golden stairs from Renaissance by Diego de Siloé), both of them from the 13th century, and the East side's Pellejería façade, with Renaissance–Plateresque influences of the 16th century, are also outstanding.