Built at the highest point of the town, construction of the cathedral of Segovia began in the year 1525, during the reign of Carlos V. It is in the late Gothic style and was built after the fire in the old Romanesque cathedral in the year 1520. It has a ground plan with three naves, lateral chapels and a semicircular sanctuary with an ambulatory. The church was built according to the design of Juan Gil de Hontañón, and has three doorways: the Puerta del Perdón, the work of Juan Guas, is on the main façade, while on the southern face we have the San Geroteo and San Frutos Doors. It measures 105 m by 50 m and stands 33 m high at the main nave. The main altarpiece is made of marble, jasper and bronze. It was consecrated in the year 1768.