The Central Hotel Panama was built almost 150 years ago in the heart of Panama City, in front of the beautiful Plaza de la Independencia, in the Casco Antiguo. It opened its doors in 1874, being the first hotel in the country. It soon became a favorite spot for intrepid travelers. Among its guests were U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt and Count Ferdinand de Lesseps. By the turn of the 20th century, the hotel was already recognized as the best in Panama for its high level of European and American services. Its fame spread throughout the western hemisphere.
With its French-influenced design, the Central Hotel Panama is one of the many buildings that today enhance the historical and architectural importance of the Casco Antiguo, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It has recently been meticulously renovated, preserving the entirety of its original façade and structure. Visiting it provides a sense of historical luxury that is worth experiencing firsthand.