Erected in the years 1640-1642 on the initiative of the confraternity by the architects Giovanni Angelo Galassini Lugano and Antonio Castelli. The bell tower is from 1661. The present appearance of the façade dates back to 1829 and is the engineer Domenico Fontana di Cureglia, while the portal of the eighteenth century. In the years 1963-1967 the church was restored.
Inside they are considerable: the altar in polychrome marble of Baveno Giovanni Battista Adami (1768), with a majestic temple (1779) and the painted wooden statue of the Virgin (eighteenth century). on the back wall of the choir there is a rich frame with caryatids angels and a curtain in stucco containing the valuable painting of the Madonna and Child with St. Francis of Assisi (1623); in the second chapel of the north, painting of St. Charles to the throne (1715) by Giuseppe Antonio Petrini (1677-1759) of Carona, star of the Lombard painting of the eighteenth century, also present with the beautiful Lady Immaculate (in the choir); canvas of Pius IV requiring the grandson hat Cardinals (1650-1700; outside triumphal arch); Gloria S. Carlo (fresco on the ceiling of the choir); group of the Pietà in papier mache (Lecce art, early seventeenth century; in the chapel of S. Carlo). archiviostoricolugano.ch