Constitution Dock is at the south east end of Franklin Wharf where you can find the Hobart Heritage Steam Crane, a proud historical fixture still parked on the wharf. Built around 1899 the 25 ton capacity crane was part of the ship-to-rail operation at the port of Hobart and at one time was the only powered crane in the port. In 1960 it was downgraded to a capacity of 20 tons but still remained in service until 1969.
Bridging the only marine entrance to Constitution Dock is a bascule type drawbridge built in 1935. This single lane bridge with its counterweights elevated above the bridge surface still operates regularly to allow boat traffic in and out of Constitution Dock.
Among the services offered at or near the dock, the most prominent are eating establishments which range from fine dining facilities to buying live seafood from local fishermen. Every year after Christmas, the dock becomes home to boats that participated in the Sydney to Hobart yacht race.
View More »