In 1814, a Kirkman Finley applied to the Trade of Clyde for a lighthouse on Corsill Point. The Northern Lighthouse Board Engineer investigated and made the decision that a light at the entrance of Lochryan in Galloway and also one on the Point of Ayre in the Isle of Man, would be the most beneficial. Robert Stevenson, inspected in December of that year and soon the 30ft tower and house were in the first stages of construction.
Corsewall Lighthouse was exhibited in 1817 but that year, the Principal Keeper at Corsewall was reported for incompetence after falling asleep on duty as the revolving apparatus of the light had stopped for a certain period. They suspended him and he was to never chiefly monitor a lighthouse again and was demoted as an assistant at Bell Rock.
In November 1970, Concorde reportedly flew over the lighthouse on a trial flight and shattered panes of glass on the lighthouse. Later flights did not affect it.
Corsewall Lighthouse was automated in 1994 and is now only loosely monitored from the Northern Lighthouse Board's offices in Edinburgh. Although the light is still operated by the Northern Lighthouse Board, since automation in 1994 the rest of Corsewall Lighthouse has been converted into the four-star Corsewall Lighthouse Hotel