The Delaware and Hudson (D&H) Canal system was built in the 1820's and carried anthracite coal from the mines in Pennsylvania to Kingston, NY to meet the Hudson River, and thereby, the rest of the world. In 1825, when natural cement was discovered near High Falls, NY, that material was used to build the canal as well as the Brooklyn Bridge and Statue of Liberty.
The Canal ran for 108 miles, with 108 locks used to raise and lower the boats as they worked their way toward the Hudson River. For 70 years, (1828 to 1898), this canal system not only linked the mines of Pennsylvania with the Hudson and the rest of the world, but also encouraged the birth of new town and villages along its route.
Amazingly, this project was completed in fewer than three years using only picks, shovels, draft animals, and blasting powder.