Enhances advertising, editorial, film, video, TV, Websites, and mobile experiences.
Deserted village 'Malo Grablje' is located in the inland of the island of Hvar, three kilometers from the shore. It can be reached by road that leads through the canyon, whose cliffs shield the view towards the sea.
The village was founded in 16th century, and since then it was populated by the members of a single family that carries the surname Tudor. It is an interesting fact that the surname Tudor does not appear anywhere else in Croatia, and all the Tudors living today in Croatia originate from this village. The first recorded appearance of the Tudor surname on the island of Hvar is dated in 1597. Moreover there is a story about the begining of the village, the so-called 'Legend', that claims that the village was founded by a foreigner, who was the only survivor of a shipwreck of English sailing ship near the island, even suggesting that the foreigner might have been related to the British royal family. However, the story is most likely a fake, since there is no reliable historical evidences to support it.
Acording to 1880. census the village of Malo Grablje had 123 inhabitants, in 1953. recorded number of inhabitants was 115, in 1961. that number dropped down to only 6, and in 1971. the village was officially deserted, while the most of its former residents moved towards the sea side populating the settlement of Milna.