The Dome Square is considered to be the heart of Old Riga. Its development started in the end of the 19th century and continued till 1936, when it acquired its present shape. Numerous feasts and fairs take place here throughout the year.
Development of the Dome Square started in the end of the 19th century and continued till 1936. Today only the pattern of the cobblestones shows where buildings and the streets used to be in older times. During archaeological digs in 1986-87 near the Dome Cathedral there was found a medieval graveyard, including depositions of the Kurshi dating back to the 13th century.
Originated from a small fishermen village, for centuries Riga has been an important part of the trade chain between Russia and Western Europe. A lively crossroad of cultures and backgrounds for over 800 years, the historical centre of Riga has accumulated an impressive cultural baggage and today is justly included in the UNESCO’s World Heritage list.