The ruins of Dunstanburgh Castle stand on a remote coastal headland in Northumberland, close to the Scottish border. Its name literally translates as ‘the fort’ (burgh) ‘of the town’ (dun) ‘by the rock’ (stan). It dates from 1319 with Thomas, Earl of Lancaster intending it to be more of a symbol of his opposition to the crown of Edward II than as a military stronghold.
Unfortunately for the Earl he was captured and executed by the king who gifted the castle to John of Gaunt, one of this sons. He was responsible for converting the great twin towered gatehouse into a keep.
The castle was twice besieged and captured by Yorkist forces during the 15th century Wars of the Roses after which it fell into decline and ruin.