Perched on rocks at the eastern edge of the Isle of Scalpay in the Outer Hebrides, Eilean Glas was one of the first four lighthouses to be built in Scotland by the Commissioners for Northern Lights. The original round tower was first lit in 1789, helping to guide ships through the narrowest point of the Minch, which separates the Outer Hebrides from Skye and the Scottish mainland. The larger tower, with its distinctive red and white banding, was added in 1824. The fog signal system with it’s trumpet-shaped horn powered by a bank of compressed air cylinders, was installed in 1907. Since the lighthouse was automated in 1978 the unused outbuildings have fallen into disrepair.