The Trona fort stands 225 meters above sea level on Mount of Holy Name of Jesus parish in the Pious, in the Municipality of Ponteareas, province of Pontevedra.
Castro dates back to the sixth centuries B.C. a II d.C.. It was excavated in the early twentieth century, and then between 1981 and 1992.
One of the most important forts in Galicia. It has a complex defensive system, consisting of two walls, moat and parapet. The first documented buildings are made of perishable materials (although they later would in stone) and could be dated to the V century BC. We also found other constructions for common use as tanks, closets for storing grain as well as an abundance of hand mills to grind. They have also been documented exchanges with other towns, because the metallurgical activity involves the provision of raw materials from other places far away. Found remains of import ceramics, bronze objects and jewelry as well as coins minted by mints in Gaul and other cities of the Roman Empire.
It is one of the best preserved in the province of Pontevedra.
Under the protection of the general declaration of the Decree of April 22, 1949, and Law 16/1985 on Spanish Historical Heritage.
View More »