The Evangelical Lutheran Congregation of Puchov was founded around 1560. Around 1600 the majority of Puchov's population was Lutheran. During the time of the Counter-Reformation, the congregation went out of existence. From 1709, Lutherans from Puchov had to go to the congregation in Sulov for worship services. After the Edict of Toleration in 1783, the congregation was restored. The members immediately began construction of a building using stone and unburned bricks. On the same site as the previous church, the present church was constructed in Neo-Gothic style, completed in 1880. It houses an altar that dates back to 1643. After the Battle of the White Mountain in the early 17th Century, Bohemian and Moravian Brethren came to Puchov as a place of exile. This United Brethren Community of Bohemians and Moravians (Unitas Fratrorum) gathered into its own street and there was self-governed.