The Holy Island of Lindisfarne is a small and remote tidal island located several miles off the Northumberland coast. The causeway linking it to the mainland is cut off twice-daily by fast-moving tides. It is famed for being a significant centre of Celtic Christianity and as the first place in the British Isles to be invaded by Vikings in 793. Visitor attractions include the remains of a 12th century priory and a Tudor built fort.
Lindisfarne Castle was first built as an artillery fort in 1550. It sits atop a high rocky mound on Holy Island. Despite its location close to the volatile border between England and Scotland it never saw military action and in 1903 was remodelled into a private residence by the famous architect Sir Edwin Lutyens. It has been in the care of the National Trust since 1944.