The Penha Sanctuary is located on Mount Penha in Guimarães. The works began on August 6, 1930, according to the project of the architect Marques da Silva. Its lines, modern for height, do not follow the traditional forms, always being straight lines, being integrated in the "Art Deco" style of the 20s.
The Beaux Arts style of Marques da Silva (neo-classic and eclectic conservative design) did not follow the new standards of Art Deco that emerged in the European avant-garde embodied in the Exhibition of Decorative Arts of Paris in 1925.
At the time of the beginning of the project of this Church, 1930, Marques da Silva was already in the phase of the project of licensing of the house of Serralves (1927-1943), an Art Deco project shared with three outstanding French architects in Paris: Charles Siclis ( Facades) Emile Ruhlmann (Interiors), and Jacques Greber (Gardens). Of course, the Art Deco influences are visible in the layout of this Church.
The Church suffered a fire on February 13, 1939, where the image of the Lady of the Conception and the carving that formed and guarenteed the Altar-mor were destroyed, thus delaying its construction. The inauguration was on September 14, 1947 without the presence of the architect Marques da Silva who died 3 months earlier.