The closed bazaar is located on the west of the Grand Mosque in downtown Tarsus District of Mersin. It was built during the rule of Ramazanolu Ibrahim Bey. It was used as a charity institution for many years. It was renovated in 1954 and transformed into a closed market area. As local people identified the figures on the structure used as special ornaments with spoons without handles, the bazaar is generally known by the name of “Kırk Kaşık” (literally: forty spoons), or the White Bazaar.