National Memorial Park of Recsk
The name of the settlement is tied to a dark period in Hungarian history in the 20th century. Between 1950 and 1953 the Hungarian equivalent of the gulag, a forced labour camp operated here. Today the area is a national memorial. In this place, completely isolated from publicity, the Hungarian Annihilation Camp of the Bolshevik red dictatorship was secretly founded and oparated in the years between 1950-1953. After the death of Stalin in the autumn of 1953 the unlawful institutions of the former AVH (State Security Authorities)- among the most inhuman the Death-labour Camp of the Recsk quarry - were dissolved and removed by Imre Nagy.