Loshavn is a beautiful, small 19th century fishing village on the south coast of Norway. It's located about an hour and a half's drive west of Kristiansand, just west of the very southernmost tip of the country. Loshavn is at the south east corner of the lista peninsula which was heavily occupied and fortified by the occupying forces during the Second World War.
The village was founded in the early part of the 1700's when the neighboring port of Eikvåg ran out of building space. The early 19th century was probably the most exciting time in Loshavn's history. The largest houses were built and traffic in the harbour was hectic. Norway, being a Danish colony ended up on the French side during the Napoleonic wars. After the British attack on København harbour and the destruction of the Danish-Norwegian navy, pilots along the southern coast of Norway were given small canon with which to arm their sail boats and permission to attack any British ship attempting to run the blockade of the Baltic. The proceeds of the rather profitable privateering that ensued was often used to build and embellish private property in the ports to which the prizes were taken and the spoils divided up.
View More »