The Historical City Hall of Münster is one of Münster, Germany's principal landmarks. Located on the principal market is next St. Paul's Cathedral. It is known for its role in the negotiations of the Peace of Westphalia, which concluded the Thirty Years' War in Europe and the Eighty Years' War between Spain and the Republic of the Seven United Netherlands. The building was nearly destroyed in World War II, but it has since been rebuilt.
Münster is an independent city in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. It is located in the northern part of the state and is considered to be the cultural centre of the Westphalia region and it is also capital of the local government region Regierungsbezirk Münster. It is most well known as the location of the Anabaptist rebellion during the Protestant Reformation, as the site of the signing of the Treaty of Westphalia ending the Thirty Years' War in 1648 and as bicycle capital of Germany.Münster gained the status of a Großstadt with more than 100,000 inhabitants in 1915. Currently there are around 270,000 people living in the city, with about 48,500 students, only some of whom are recorded in the official population statistics as having their primary residence in Münster.Münster's economy is mainly based on service companies and public administration. Münster is also the seat of eight universities and colleges as well as of important courts such as the constitutional court and the higher administrative court for North Rhine-Westphalia.The city was founded in 793 by Frisian Ludger, who was consecrated as the first bishop of the Münster diocese in 805. His successors held power over the largest clerical territory within the Holy Roman Empire until 1803.