Built on the site of the first chapel constructed by Champlain in 1633, Notre-Dame de Québec Church was erected in 1647 and was called Notre-Dame-de-la-Paix. In 1664, it became the first parish church in North America. In 1674, the church took the title of cathedral, following the appointment of Mgr. de Laval as bishop of the new diocese of Québec. Due to the church’s new title, certain modifications were conducted on the building and on its décor. It was ravaged by the bombardments that occurred during the English Conquest in 1759, and was reconstructed a few years later. On December 22, 1922, a fire once again destroyed the cathedral. In 1923, they began the construction of the present-day church.