Old Mill in Umkirch, View 3. During the run of centuries, many different mills stood at the location of the "Schlossmühle" (castle mill) in Umkirch near Freiburg. The mill located here in 1750 was in such an exceedingly bad condition that the local squire feared it could not possibly endure the next flood. And so the building was consequently demolished. A local named Blasi Waldvogel, his wife Catharina Spiegelhalter and their three sons built today's mill. The project however, was beyond the financial means of the family and so foreclosure was the eventual consequence. After many changes in ownership, the Grand Duchess Stephanie of Baden bought the mill in 1826. In the following centuries, again the mill saw many different owners, but it was in constant use. In 1922 the water-wheel was replaced by a turbine but in 1978 the mill was closed down for good and, during the following decades, the building was abandoned and left to decay. In 1998 the local authority bought the mill. In 2000 the society “Umkircher Mühlenfreunde” (Friends of the Umkirch Mill) was founded by members of the local community and started to collect donations for the mill. During the following years the members of the society worked really hard to save it. On 26th September 2009 - with the installation of a new water-wheel - the restoration of the mill was finally accomplished, also including a small kitchen and bakery.