Trento Cathedral (Italian: Duomo di San Vigilio) is the most important religious edifice in Trento, northern Italy. It was built over a pre-existing 6th century temple devoted to St. Vigilius (Italian: San Vigilio), patron saint of the city.
BishopFederico Wanga commissioned the architect Adamo d'Arogno to construct the new Lombard-Romanesque church. Works continued for more than a hundred years, with the Gothic style becoming increasingly evident.
The interior has a nave and two aisles with a transept. The latter has 14th century frescoes depicting the legend of St. Julian and the stone statue of the Madonna degli Annegati. The apse of the right transept houses the relics of the local martyrs Sisinius, Marturius and Alexander who died around 397 AD. In the right aisle is the Crucifix Chapel (1682), with a wooden crucifix at the feet of which were promulgated the issues of the Council of Trent, whose sessions were held in the church's presbytery
Trentino-Alto Adige/Südtirol consists of two provinces: Trento and Bolzano-Bozen. The region was part of Austria-Hungary (and its predecessor, the Austrian Empire) from 1815 until its annexation by Italy in 1919. Together with the Austrian state of Tyrol it is represented by the Euroregion Tyrol-South Tyrol-Trentino.More informations on Wikipedia