The most beautiful castle "Golden Horseshoe of Lviv", a striking example of the transition from defense to the palatial architecture of noble residences. Built by the Italian architect. A. del Aqua and military engineer G. de Boplana (author of the famous "Description of Ukraine" and the compiler of the "General map of Ukraine") for the crown hetman S. Koniecpolski at the northern tip of ancient Plisnesk settlement. He was one of the most magnificent palaces in Eastern Europe, embodied fashion while type of noble residence, who combined with luxurious accommodation bastion fortification (so called "palazzo in fortezza"). After the War of Independence who owned the castle from 1648 Sobieski palace restored and decorated interiors. There were grandiose balls with the participation of European monarchs. Visited here in 1711 Russian Tsar Peter I had brought to St. Petersburg several sculptures by Italian masters and soon launched the construction of Peterhof. The new owner B. Pidgirtsi Rzhevussky in 1728-79 years. conducted a large-scale reconstruction of the castle, he began to gather a collection of sculptures and paintings, as well as the organized private theater. In those days, the reputation Pidhirtsi "Galician Versailles". The last owners - dukes Sangushko - turned his residence into a museum, but in the beginning. First World War were forced to save the collection. In 1939, R. Sangushko brought a rich collection of works of art in Brazil and created Sangushko Foundation, run by his descendants. In Soviet times, the palace was looted, destroyed by fire interiors, indoor placed sanatorium. In the Soviet TV series "D 'Artagnan and Three Musketeers" Pidhirtsi Castle played the role of the City Hall, where there was a ball at the city elders, where the brave Gascon brought diamond studs Queen (many believe that it was the Louvre or Versailles). Since 1997, being restored and the creation of the museum. to visit the available yard with a well, a terrace on the bastions, exhibition of old photographs in the dungeons, and the dungeons of the castle with an exhibition of "Mrs. White," which is dedicated to the legend of the ghost Podgoretskii castle.