In December, 1776, the nearby Thompson-Neely House became a temporary military hospital for General Washingtons soldiers that were suffering from disease, exposure, unhealed wounds, etc. The soldiers that died during this time were buried throughout the area. In 1954 the Soldiers Graves and Memorial Flagstaff in Washington Crossing State Park was dedicated to the many men lost during that time. The modern gravestones are named Unknown, except for one, Captain-Lieutenant James Moore. The Memorial Flagstaff base is made up of native stone from the original 13 colonies, with each state named. Situated on a rise along the Delaware River, it is a beautiful tribute to those men of the Continental Army.