The Rubha nan Gall lighthouse is situated to the north of Tobermory, at the NW entrance to the Sound of Mull. The name means ‘Strangers Point' in Scottish Gaelic. The light is one of 29 built for the Northern Lighthouse Board during the 19th century by David and Thomas Stevenson, part of the famous family of civil engineers. It was first lit in 1857. It was manned by keepers, who lived in the adjacent cottages, until becoming automated in 1960.