In the Middle Ages salt was traded on this square, hence the name. The first mention of the place dates back to 1242; then there was talk of a Polish market or a salt Place. Between 1827 and 1945, the place was named Blücherplatz after the Prussian Field Marshal Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher. To whose honor the Blücherdenkmal built 1827 in the middle, which was destroyed in 1945. During World War II the majority of the houses were destroyed or severely damaged. Until 1961, most were rebuilt, the facades and the number of respective floors were partly changed. Late 20th century sculpture of a needle was placed in the middle of the square.
From Plac Solny
Today the flower market is located in the square. In the surrounding houses are numerous restaurants and cafes.