From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
Scheidegg is a municipality in the district of Lindau in Bavaria in Germany and a licensed Kneipp cure spa and air health resort.
Located in the Westallgäu region, the municipality of Scheidegg consists of the town of Scheidegg and the district of Scheffau.
On the west and south, the municipality borders on the Bregenz Forest, which is part of the Austrian state of Vorarlberg.
The settlement of the area around Scheidegg started most likely in the 6th and 7th century by the Alamanni. Until 1481 it belonged
to Weiler and was - as a result of the loss of the document - first mentioned in 1255 in St. Gallen. The imperial abbey of Benedictines
St. Gallen promoted christianity and culture. In 1296 abbot Wilhelm sold Scheidegg to Count Hugo of Bregenz (Montfort). The area, which
Habsburg had purchased in 1571, stayed a part of Vorarlberg until the Treaty of Pressburg in 1805 (Napoleon) and later became a part of Bavaria.
The tradition of Scheidegg as a spa and recreation area goes back to the turn of the century (to the 20th century). When the first
summer visitors came to Scheidegg after the construction of the railway line from Röthenbach to Scheidegg, the first attempt to organize the
tourism was made by founding the association for transport and beautification in 1902. When in 1912 the construction of the
Prinzregent-Luitpold-Kinderklinik (a paedriatic clinic) began, this was the cornerstone for the development of Scheidegg to a spa.
In 1936 Scheidegg became a licensed air health resort. After World War II a new start had to be made. The necessity to qualify as a
spa was soon acknowledged and hence the first licensed kneippism business formed in 1964.
In the year 1972 the municipalities of Scheidegg und Scheffau were merged in the course of the municipal reform in Bavaria.