Smederevo Fortress is situated on a wide plateau at the confluence of the rivers Jezava and Danube. It was built with the intention of making it the country’s capital and the permanent residence of Despot Đurađ Branković, to replace Belgrade which, after the death of Despot Stefan in 1427 had been returned to the Hungarians. Great effort was invested in its construction and it represents the last great achievement of Serbian military architecture.
The Turks conquered the town in 1439, for it to be returned to Despot Đurađ under the Peace of Szeged treaty in 1444. It fell decisively into Turkish hands in 1459, which also signified the fall of the mediaeval Serbian state. During 1480 the Turks strengthened the fortifications by adding three low octagonal artillery towers at the corners, connected by a lower external wall. The small town and larger suburb had water-filled moats outside their walls.
The Turkish armies left Smederevo in 1867 when, together with six other Serbian towns, they handed it over to Prince Mihailo.
Today Smederevo Fortress is a cultural property of great importance, a popular tourist site, and an exclusive venue for musical, theatrical and other cultural events.
Text source: http://www.serbia.travel/culture/fortresses-and-fortified-towns/smederevo-fortress/
Fortresses in Serbia